2013 Reading List

For a long time after becoming a mom the most reading I could seem to accomplish was a magazine article. This fall though I started to get my reading groove back. I read a bunch of good books and now I have a stack of books on my list. 


Everyone has their favorite genres. Mine tend to be books that make me want to be a better person; that spur me to action. I want to feel like all the hours spent reading something were worth it because they changed me. I also like books that inform me of global happenings, and I guess my guilty pleasure would be political thrillers. If you like any of these kinds of books and are looking for your next read  here's a few that I've read and recommend:

Same Kind of Different As Me - by Ron Hall & Denver Moore
What Difference Do It Make - by Ron Hall & Denver Moore

These books talk about homelessness, seeing the world through someone else's eyes and the power of friendship. It changed the way I thought about homeless people. They're still changing me. I'll probably write about this more soon. : )

A Million Miles in a Thousand Years - by Donald Miller

I will admit I didn't like this book at the beginning, but ended up really liking it in the end. I think that's how you are supposed to feel. Here's the synopsis:

A Million Miles in a Thousand Years chronicles Miller's rare opportunity to edit his life into a great story, to reinvent himself so nobody shrugs their shoulders when the credits roll. Through heart-wrenching honesty and hilarious self-inspection, Donald Miller takes readers through the life that emerges when it turns from boring reality into meaningful narrative.
Miller goes from sleeping all day to riding his bike across America, from living in romantic daydreams to fearful encounters with love, from wasting his money to founding a nonprofit with a passionate cause. Guided by a host of outlandish but very real characters, Miller shows us how to get a second chance at life the first time around. A Million Miles in a Thousand Years is a rare celebration of the beauty of life.

I just started reading UnPoverty by Mark Lutz. "Rich lessons from the working poor." I think we all have a lot to learn. 

Still on my list are:

One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp, a book about being grateful for everything and through everything. 

And The Tehran Initiative by Joel C. Rosenberg. This is book two in his latest series (book one was The Last Imam and book three The Damascus Countdown comes out March 5!). This is what I was talking about when I said political thriller. Rosenberg has his ear to the ground when it comes to global political rumblings. He has an uncanny way of knowing what's coming and publishing a book about it right before it happens. Although his series are fiction they are peppered with actual happenings, real stats and facts. He also writes some eye opening non-fiction. If you want to get yourself up to speed on what's happened and what's happening in the middle east you might like "Epicenter" and "Inside the Revolution." Rosenberg has a blog where he posts news updates, if you are interested. 

There are other books I'm looking forward to, but this is a start for now. Have you read a great book lately that you recommend?
Happy Reading! 
- Haley

Comments

Popular Posts