Grown Up Gifts: Sugar Scrubs

Today's grown up gift is a little trip to the spa, or at least it will feel like one. This sugar scrub leaves hands and feet super soft and is made out of ingredients you probably already have. It makes a great gift because it's one-size-fits-all. You can try a variety of scents; today I'll share my favorite; modified from a recipe book I purchased. 


Before you get started mixing, you want to round up your containers. Small jars work well. I try to save mine when I use something up, like jam or a specialty mustard or something. Remove the label, send through the dishwasher, and take off any sticky residue with some Goo Gone. You don't want your jars to be too big, or it will take an entire batch for one jar, and the recipient may have a hard time using it up before it starts to crystalize. The larger size baby food jars make a perfect stocking stuffer. I also like the mini mason jars they have now. 


I did use my Silhouette to cut out vinyl letters to make labels that said "Sugar Scrub" on each jar. I used the inner letters on some, and the outer shell on others, so I didn't waste any vinyl, and each label took care of two jars. I attached a bamboo spoon to each, but I will confess that the scrub does get a little hard after a while, and the bamboo spoons didn't cut it, so if you choose to include a spoon you might want it to be of the metal variety.


The toppers were just tissue paper cut into a circle about twice the size of the lid and tied on with jute or raffia.


Ok how about a recipe?

Peppermint Snow Scrub

1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup mineral or baby oil 
2 Tbsp. light corn syrup
1 tsp. peppermint extract

Mix all ingredients well. Spoon into jars and seal. To use: massage a tablespoon of scrub over hands or feet for one minute. Rinse and pat dry. Massage any residual oil into hands to seal in moisture. Hands will be super soft!
If you want to change the scent a little you can get lavender scented baby oil, and come out with lavender/peppermint. I did this by accident, but was pleasantly surprised with the result. If you want just peppermint be sure your mineral or baby oil is unscented. I also love the rosemary/mint combo, for this use 1 tsp spearmint extract (not peppermint!) and a few drops of rosemary essential oil. You can really be creative and come up with your favorite scents. 


Other scents I made as gifts were Mexican Hot Chocolate (chocolate cinnamon) and Pumpkin Pie. I purchased an ebook of 24 sugar scrub recipes from Erin at In Between Laundry. You can go here to purchase her book of recipes.


Finally, I tried something new with this project: glass etching! As long as I was cutting vinyl labels I thought I would give it a try. You just put the vinyl stencil on and carefully paint the etching cream over the letters. You leave it on for a few minutes and then rinse it off. Ta da! Jars that say Sugar Scrub. Kind of fun.
I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! 
Thanks for coming to grown up gifts week. 
Next up will be handmade gifts for kids. See you then!

Comments

  1. I've been wanting to try this, would be a great affordable christmas gift for ladies in my family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great gift idea! You are a featured favorite this week on Saturday Show & Tell on Cheerios and Lattes! Thanks again for sharing; we love having you join us each week! See you soon!
    Mackenzie :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments will be posted after review

Popular Posts