Freezer Paper Shirts

I really like making my boys personalized shirts using freezer paper. I used to just trace my designs onto the paper and cut it out with an Exacto knife. But then my husband who loves me bought me a Silhouette. : ) Now I can do fun, intricate designs and it is so much faster! I made my boys some coordinating cars shirts. 


Just in case you are not familiar with freezer paper stenciling; you just cut out your design and iron it on your fabric (shiny side down). The wax in the paper sticks to the fabric sealing it off so you can paint nice clean lines using fabric paint.


I always save my extra shapes in case I want to do something with them later. I use a flat sponge brush to dab the fabric paint on. Once it's dry (I always end up using a hair dryer to speed things along), you peel off the freezer paper and put a cloth over the top and iron it again to heat set the paint.


Pretty fun to have your own unique shirts.


I like the variety of shapes you can get at the Silhouette store too, and I really like that they give away a free shape every week. I also love that you can draw or import your own, so you don't have to pay for something every time you do a project (like some cutting machines).


It's pretty impressive how fine the details can be with the cut images on the silhouette. Look at those spokes. The whole image on this shirt was small too, it was newborn size. : )


You can make shirts that say anything you want too. Can you just imagine the possibilities?! I made this for a friend's son for her FRIENDS themed birthday party this weekend. 


You don't need a Silhouette or any cutting machine for that matter to make a freezer paper shirt, get out an Exacto knife and give it a try, it's really fun! That's all from here today. I hope you had a great Labor day weekend!
Thanks for reading!
- Haley

Comments

  1. Thanks Krista! I will come and check you out. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I didn't know you could do that with wax paper. Although I don't have a silhouette, I could do some bigger images like hearts and flowers. Thanks for sharing at Mom's Library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tulip, just make sure you use freezer paper, not wax paper. Freezer paper is papery on one side and waxy on the other. ; )

      Delete
    2. Thanks for clarifying. Lol. Featuring you this week!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments will be posted after review

Popular Posts