Sidewalk Paint & Popsicle Holders

We recently tried another Pinspired kid project. I found the info on how to make this sidewalk chalk at Mom's Crafty Space. Basically it's 1:1 cornstarch and water then divide and add a few drops of food coloring. 


The first time we did 1:2 cornstartch:water, like Heidi suggested.


Thing One loved it!


It looked kind of watery as we were doing it,


but when it dried it looked like this.



The second time we tried closer to a 1:1 ratio, for a little bit thicker paint. I think I liked that better. Plus when we were doing it it was so hot it dried as we were painting it on. It was cool to watch.


Even my Hubby tried his overly artistic hand at it. It's really fun to do. 


Seriously, this is one of those things that you are glad you have kids for so you can spend your days doing this. Meaning: you should try this even if you don't have kids. : )


 We even tried the flicking method (I'm sure that's the artistic term for it). So modern. So Jackson Pollock.


Thing One spent most of his time drawing letters. They still hold a magical power to him. (They are cool by themselves, but they can be combined to make words. What?!!)


Anyway, as I mentioned, it was HOT. So after we quickly used up all our sidewalk paint we retreated to the shade for some icy treats. I love that Snapple makes these popsicles now. They feel like the grown-up version of the summer kids' classic; in yummy flavors too.


They feel more grown-up because they aren't dyed crazy colors. Which is nice because I'm kind of over having a blue tongue. 



Whenever we have these kind of popsicles I whip out the popsicle sleeve I made for Thing One. Especially when he was even younger he hated holding anything cold, but he did like to eat popsicles. Since I wasn't going to stand there with his popsicle for him every time he ate one, I just made him a little holder. These are so easy to make. It's just two layers of felt cut to 2 1/4 in. x 4 in., and sewn (or hot glued) 1/4 inch from the side edges. Keeps summer cool and little hands warm.



I hope you are having some fun in the sun! 
Thanks for reading!
- Haley








Comments

Popular Posts