Pinned Theirs--Carrot Chips

A lot of projects are trial and error. Recipes especially. Some are a lot harder than they look and others just plain don't come out like someone said they would. That was the case for me with these carrot chips I pinned. I'm not sure where these came from, because apparently you have to have a Tumblr account to go to this site. Anyway, I followed the directions as listed:



I even tried to make the long thin strips like the picture because I thought those looked so nice. I used our cheese slicer so I could get thicker slices.


Tossed in olive oil, salt and pepper.


Then I added a little thyme for extra flavor.


But after 12 minutes at 350° they were soft and limp, not toasty and crispy like I had hoped.


So a few days later I tried again, making the following adjustments. I used my salad shooter to make carrot chips, because it was much faster and a better thickness (Salad Shooter--helps you every day!). Then I tossed them in oil, salt, pepper and thyme again, and baked them for about 20 minutes at 425°. I flipped them using tongs a couple of times to make sure they baked evenly. Much better. Thing One even called them "chips." 

On a different but related note: I had a coupon for Greek yogurt and a recipe I wanted to try, so we bought some Greek yogurt, but now I haven't felt like making that recipe, and my yogurt is about to expire, so today I had to look up other options for using up said yogurt. I found this dip on All Recipes that sounds great to go with these chips. I'm planning to try it later this week, so I can't vouch for it yet, but I thought it would be good to put it with the carrot chips. Here it is:

Veggie Chips Dip

1 C. greek yogurt
1/4 C. chopped fresh parsley
1 Tbs. chopped fresh mint
1 clove garlic, minced
4 green onions, finely chopped
2 Tbs. lemon juice (or to taste)
salt and pepper to taste.

Mix all ingredients and enjoy with root veggie chips.

All in all, I appreciate the idea of carrot chips (especially since I sometimes have issues eating raw carrots), even though the instructions didn't work for me. So, if you want to make them, longer and hotter will give you crispy carrot chips.
Pinned theirs (tried it, changed it, tried it again), done that.

Thanks for reading.
-Haley



Comments

Popular Posts