Oh the parties you'll have!

Thing One has a winter birthday. I admit at first I was disappointed that we would always be doing winter parties; no parks, no pools or sprinklers, no BBQs.  But now that we've had a few winter birthdays I know that you can have a lot of fun inside.


Theodor Seuss Geisel was born on March 2, 1904. Maybe you're already planning to celebrate his birthday this year with The Lorax. You could always use a few of these ideas for a little post movie Seuss party.


Our decorations were Dr. Seuss books, which are truly Thing One's favorite stories; stuffed animals (thank you Kohl's Cares for Kids); and a few giant puzzles (so sad that Borders is out of business now).




Most of Thing One's friends are boys so I made them all felt Cat in the Hat hats, and made one Green Eggs and Ham hat for our little girl friend. 


I turned our coffee table into a coloring station and I think the kids (and adults) had more fun drawing on the table than the coloring pages. If you do plan a Dr. Seuss party you definitely need to visit Seussville.com. That's where I found these free coloring pages.


For the cake I made a green ham cake with sugar cookie green eggs.


The cake was actually really easy to make into a ham shape. I just made a round two layer cake, cut off one end at a little bit of and angle, and put it back on the other side. Then I froze it before frosting so it wouldn't bee too crummy. I cut a slice of marshmallow for the bone. I hand cut the cookie eggs with a knife instead of a cookie cutter.

I also couldn't help making a batch of cupcakes. I made cupcake toppers the easy way: I bought a pack of thick foam stickers and stuck a toothpick in the middle.


I made a little clover field for Horton out of pink cotton candy. I snipped the pointy end off of some bamboo skewers with garden clippers and then cut them in half. I gently rolled the cotton candy into balls and stuck them on the sticks.


I wanted to have some healthy food at the party too, so I made tomato skewers. I cut up a couple of string cheese sticks and slid one on to each skewer as a base to keep the tomatoes from sliding down.


We had the Lorax sitting under a truffula tree with a bowl of Barbaloot fruits (red grapes) and some humming fish (multi-color goldfish crackers).


I made ham and cheese and pb&j sandwiches. To tell them apart some got stars from The Sneetches. I cut out a star stencil and used food coloring spray, which you can find in the cake section of craft stores.


 I also used the food coloring spray to give the cake an extra layer of green which added some dimension to it. 


And of course we couldn't have a Seuss party without some real green eggs, my mom's good idea.


That's our Seuss party!

"From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere."

Thanks for reading.
-Haley

Comments

  1. Wow, I love all the details at this party! The Green Eggs and Ham cake/cookies are especially awesome! My Seuss fans would love it. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the ideas you have!! This is such a fun idea. We loved having you link up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." We hope you'll be back! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! I especially love the coloring station, I'm definitely using that idea : )

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments will be posted after review

Popular Posts